REFUTING THE CRITICS

Question and Answer

ALLEGATION: Texas physician growth is

simply a product of population growth.

THE TRUTH: Not so.

Texas is adding new physicians faster than population. Since 2003, the

state has added 10,354 more in-state active physicians than can be

accounted for by population growth alone. Population growth may well account

for 53 percent of the state’s new physicians. The other 47 percent above the trend were

produced by some other factors. Many of the state’s newly-minted doctors have cited Texas’

more hospitable legal climate as a significant factor in their choosing to practice here.

Above the population trend line

 

ALLEGATION: Texas is not adding physicians faster than we were during the liability crisis years.

THE TRUTH: False.

More than two-thirds of the state’s 22 trauma service areas experienced a per population loss in direct patient care physicians during the liability crisis period. Since then, 80% of the state’s trauma service areas have experienced a per population gain. During the crisis years, the number of new applicants and new licensees stagnated or declined. Since then, the number of new physicians applying for a Texas license is at an all-time high and the number of licenses granted continues at near record levels--growing even faster than our fast-growing population. Today, Texas has more patient care physicians per population than ever.

Trauma Services Area Losses During the Liability Crisis Years

Trauma Services Area Gains During the Liability Crisis Years

Trauma Services Area Losses During the Post-Crisis Years

Trauma Services Area Gains During the Liability Crisis Years

Newly-Licensed Texas Physicians

New Physician Applications Received

Emergency Medicine Physicians

One Hundred and Eighteen Texas Counties See Gains in ER Doctors

Texas Geriatricians

 

ALLEGATION: Texas is not keeping pace with other state’s in attracting patient care physicians.

THE TRUTH: False.

The Association of American Medical Colleges collects comparative data on physician supply in all 50 states. During the past six years, only California has added more patient care doctors than Texas. And remember, California’s population is 50% greater than that of Texas. Only Utah bested Texas in percentage growth. From 2008-2014, the most current years for which data is available, the Lone Star State ranked 20th in per population physician growth; a remarkable accomplishment given our explosive population growth.

The Association of American Medical Colleges Active Patient Care Physicians 2012-2014

The Association of American Medical Colleges Active Patient Care Physicians 2008-2014

 

ALLEGATION: Texas is not adding high-risk specialists any faster than we were during the crisis years.
THE TRUTH: False.

During the post-crisis years, the number of high-risk specialists in Texas has grown more than twice as fast as the state’s population.

Change in Percentage of High-Risk Specialists

 

ALLEGATION: Texas is not adding physicians in rural Texas any faster than we were during the liability crisis years.
THE TRUTH: False.

Rural Texas was losing physicians per population during the liability crisis years. Today, those numbers are on the upswing. Since the passage of reforms, fifty-nine rural counties have added at least one emergency medicine physician. Thirty-one rural counties have added an obstetrician. Twenty-four rural counties have added a cardiologist and seven have added an orthopedic surgeon. The rural gains are not simply a bi-product of population growth. For instance, forty rural counties that did not have a single emergency medicine physician in 2003 now do. Fifteen rural counties that lacked a cardiologist and thirteen counties that lacked an obstetrician now have one.

Rural Texas Patient Care Physicians Per Population During the Liability Crisis Period

Rural Texas Patient Care Physicians Per Population During the Post-Liability Crisis Period

Fifty-six Rural Texas Counties See Gains in ER Docs

Tweny-seven Rural Texas Counties Add an Obstetrician

Twenty-one Rural Texas Counties Add a Cardiologist

Eighteen Rural Texas Counties Add an Orthopedic Surgeon

Fifty-Three Texas Counties Add Their First ER Doctor

Nineteen Texas Counties Gain Their First Cardiologist

Thirteen Texas Counties Add Their First Obstetrician

Eleven Texas Counties Gain Their First Orthopedic Surgeon

P. O. Box 684157  |  Austin, Texas 78768-4157 | 2301 South Capital of Texas Highway, Building J-101  |  Austin, Texas 78746  |  512.703.2156  |  Fax: 512.703.2050